It is hard to believe that the final week of WEF 2017 is upon us, as the busy winter season nears its end.
Last weekend concluded the pinnacle of the Grand Prix Show Jumping competitions at the PBIEC with the Rolex Grand Prix 5*, but there’s still plenty of excitement this coming weekend as well.
This Saturday night’s feature $216,000 4* Grand Prix are sponsored by The Wanderers Club. 143 horses participated in this week’s FEI 4* jog so it is sure to be another busy week!
For those of you who stay past the winter season, upon the conclusion of the Winter Equestrian Festival, Equestrian Sport Productions will host another 5 weeks of Spring Circuit Hunter/Jumper shows at the PBIEC.
$500,000 Rolex Grand Prix CSI 5* Highlights
Last Saturday night the stands were packed and the crowd was entertained with a nail-biting finish in the Rolex 5*. Crowd favorite McLain Ward and Rothchild, who are rarely beatable, blazed around the jump off, taking the inside turns and leaving all the rails up. Surprisingly this time, that effort did not reward them with the blue, when Spanish Olympian Sergio Alvarez Moya stole the Rolex timepiece and the lion’s share of the $500,000 Rolex Grand Prix CSI 5* prize purse. Moya’s lightening speed jump off edged out Mclain Ward by barely 1/2 a second, with WEF week 9 Grand Prix winner Karen Polle coming in third.
Check out the video of Sergio Moya’s winning round, starting over the Wellington Equestrian Realty jump in the $500K Rolex Grand Prix CSI 5*!
As reported by Equestrian Sport Productions, “Mclain shouldn’t be too disappointed, however, as he earned the Suncast® 1.50m Championship Jumper Series title and a lease on a brand new Range Rover Discovery Sport earlier that night.”
Week 11 Highlights and Week 12 Featured Events
ESP sent the following information on last week’s other classes and a list of the top equestrian events for this week. Don’t forget to get over to watch the Gladiator Polo on Friday night, and take in plenty of other equestrian action in the hunter, jumper and dressage rings!
Courtesy of ESP, “Tiffany Foster (CAN) wasn’t too happy with boyfriend Kent Farrington (USA) as he narrowly edged her out for the win in the $130,000 Suncast® 1.50m Championship Jumper Classic Final, with Portugal’s Luciana Diniz coming in third. Also last week, Switzerland’s Beat Mandli won the $50,000 Engel & Völkers Grand Prix CSI 2* on Sunday, and McKayla Langmeier won the 10 the annual George H. Morris Excellence in Equitation Championship exhibition and Kerry McCahill won the Under 25 Grand Prix Series Semi-Final.”
This Weekend’s Top Events:
- Thursday: $86,000 Ruby et Violette WEF Challenge Cup Round 12 (International Arena) Livestream Here
- Friday, all day in the International Arena: Spy Coast Farm and Gut Einhaus Developing Young Jumper Series Classics
- Friday, 7pm: Gladiator Polo (Equestrian Village). Visit www.gladiatorpolo.com for more information.
- Saturday, 12pm: Round 1 of the $50,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby (Derby Field)
- Saturday: WEF Parade of Circuit Champions and Leadline (4:30pm) followed by the $216,000 Wanderers Club Grand Prix CSI 4* starting at 8pm.
- Sunday, 10:30am: $50,000 Hollow Creek Farm Under 25 Grand Prix Series Final, followed by the $50,000 Suncast® 1.50m National Grand Prix
- Sunday, 1pm: $50,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby Round 2 (Derby Field)